Lok Raj Sangathan is happy to announce the Conferment of Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer centenary award (Posthumously) to Shri T S Sankaran, former President of Lok Raj Sangathan. We reproduce here below the letter from SOCO Trust to his wife Ms Padma Sankaran announcing the award.
Greetings from SOCO Trust, Madurai.
Kindly permit me to introduce myself. I am V.R.LAKSHMINARAYANAN, Chairperson of the jury of Justice V.R.Krishna Iyer Award committee of Society for Community Organisation Trust, a non – governmental, secular organisation established in 1982, primarily to work towards greater realisation of social justice and promotion of awareness among the deprived sections of the community, of their rights with a catalytic mission. Since its inception, SOCO Trust has been a pioneer in the field of legal awareness creation and para – legal training for social activists working among the women, tribals, landless and bonded labourers, child labourers and unorganised sectors. Its other activities include conducting training programmes, workshops on human rights, providing litigation support activities, launching campaigns and lobbying in pursuance of the above goals and release and rehabilitation of bonded labourers.
Our organisation, the SOCO Trust has the privilege of having former Chief Justice of India Mr. Justice. P. N. Bhagwati and Mr. Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer, the eminent jurist as its patrons.
SOCO Trust in its scheme of things has instituted an award in the name of Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer in order to encourage and honour outstanding human right activists, para – legal workers, either individuals or their organisations who have done commendable service through Legal aid movements, encourage Public Interest Litigation , organised literacy programmes and those who had worked at grassroot level to protect human dignity, human rights crusaders, environmentalist, Women activist, Peace workers, Journalist, academicians, Lawyers,Judges, writers and Civil liberties activist.
The awardee is selected by a jury and this year the panel is headed by Mr. V.R. Lakshminarayanan, former DGP of Tamilnadu. It has selected hundred eminent and dedicated activists and champions of human rights from all over India for the conferment of the award this year.
Justice V.R. Krishna Iyer Award was presented to the awardees in the past by Mr. Justice P.N. Bhagwati, the then Chief Justice of India and Mr. Justice P.B. Sawant, the then Judge of Supreme Court of India, Mr. Justice Ranganath Misra, the then Chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission and Mr. Justice K.T. Thomas, the then Judge of Supreme Court of India and Dr. Justice Shivaraj V. Patil, Former Judge of the Supreme Court of India and presently Member of the National Human Rights Commission and Mr.Justice P.K.Misra, Judge, High Court of Madras. The distinguished dignitaries who were honoured with the National Awards thus far include.
- Dr. Sundarlal Bahuguna, the noted environmentalist.
- Dr. B.D. Sharma, former chairman of the SC/ST Commission
- Dr. Srilatha Swaminathan, leading social worker from Gujarat.
- Ms. Shabna Azmi, crusader for Slum Dwellers rights.
- Mr. R.R. Gopal, Editor, NAKKHEERAN
- Ms. Leelavathy, a CPI(M), Councilor of Madurai City Corporation, who was murdered by anti-social elements. (Posthumously)
- Mr. V.P. Gunasekaran, B.E., a tribal leader who had strained every nerve and sinew to bring about a quantum change in the life of tribals.
- Mr. M. Raja, former Secretary, Tamilnadu Legal Services Authority
- Dr. V. Jeevanantham, President and Founder of Tamilnadu Green Movement, Erode.
- Mr. K. Rathinasamy, (CPI (M), President, Iduvai Panchayat who was murdered by anti-social elements (Posthumously)
- Mr. P. Thirumalairajan, Secretary, Federation of District and Subordinate Court Bar Association, Tamilnadu and Puducheri.
- Prof. Eachara Variar, father of the late Mr. Rajan, final year student of Kozhikode Regional Engineering College, who was tortured and murdered by the police force during Emergency.
- Dr. A.K. Tharien (Posthumously) is a Veteran of the peace movement and community health.
- Mr. B.B. Mohan is a human rights lawyer, who had devoted himself to the welfare of the Dalits, tribals and minorities.
- Ms. Sherifa is a Social Activist fighting for the rights of women especially the Muslim women.
In this connection, we are writing to request your goodself to kindly grace this years award function in Madurai / Chennai / Ernakulam and accept the award. The SOCO Trust and the jury panel feel that they would be greatly privileged and honoured if your goodself could kindly accept the award.
While we are conscious of the fact that your goodself is extremely busy, we would be most grateful and feel honoured if you could kindly find the time to concede our request.
We look forward to an early response from your goodself.