Public hearing held in Kawad village & Padagha near Bhiwandi
• Public hearing was conducted in the presence of
– Honourable Shri. Soheb Lokhandwala , member of …………………………………………and
-Shri.Shekhar Kapure, Dr.Das, members of local committee of Lok Raj Sangathan, an organization of people.
• The hearing was conducted in 2 places
-in the morning of 2nd December 2012 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Aanganwadi premises of village Kawad. More than 150 people participated in the public hearing. People from neighbouring villages / padas like Madkyacha Pada, Sontakke,Shambhunagar, Vaghiwali, Pariwali, Rohine gaon also attended the public hearing. People had walked more than 5 kms. To attend the hearing.
-in the afternoon of 2nd December 2012 from 3.30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Sudarshannagar of Padagha .More than 100 people participated in the public hearing. People from Balajinagar, Sudershannagar, Navi Ali, Brahman aali and also from neighbouring villages like Sherekarpada, Chmbipada & Bhadane etc. also attended the public hearing. Ex Sar Panch of Padagha Mr.Sane was also present.
• In both the places Shri.Soheb , clarified that right to food is part of right to life. He also clarified that as a member of Supreme Court appointed committee he will try his best to help people get their right as per the law.
• In both the meetings a very large number of local people, who are the direct beneficiaries of PDS, participated. The beneficiaries included both Yellow & Saffron card holders. The common grievances expressed by more than 40 people who gave evidence were:
-Grievances of Yellow Card holders / BPL card holders :
1. For most of the period over last two years they have not got Palm oil
2. Over last 2 years they never received any Tuar Dal
3. They get ½ litre Keroscene per month for each person which is extremely inadequate. The Keroscene distributing shops are open for a very short duration in some cases for less than 2 hours in the evening.
4. Most of the time they get between 25 to 30 Kgs. Of Wheat & Rice put together , but never got 35 Kgs. as per their entitlement.
5. Sugar is not given every month.
6. Ration shop owners tell them that Yellow card holders are getting less since Saffron card holders have to be given some quantity. Thus they try to incite Yellow card holders against Saffron card holders.
– Grievances of Saffron Card holders / APL card holders
1. Ration shop owners tell them that saffron card holders will be given ration only if any stock is left after giving to BPL card holders.
2. Over last 2 years they have never received any Tur Dal , Palm oil, or Sugar.
3. They get ½ litre Keroscene per month for each person which is extremely inadequate. The Keroscene distributing shops are open for a very short duration in some cases for less than 2 hours in the evening
4. Most of the time they get between 4 to 6 Kgs. Of Wheat & Rice put together , but never got 15 Kgs. as per their entitlement.
-Common grievances of both card holders
1. The Ration shops distributing grains open only after 20th of the month, as a result of which many of them can not buy since they have no money left at the end of the month. Ration shop owners tell them that this is because they receive ration from government only after 20th .
2. The quality of both Wheat & Rice is rarely very good. Most of the times the quality is very poor.
3. The ration shop owners refuse to give Complaint book even when asked by the card holders and instead threaten them.
4. Many times complaints have been given in writing , delegations have met the officials in Bhiwandi and even in Konkan Bhawan. But after they fight, for a few days the quota increases a little bit, but after that again it is reduced.