11th September, 2012, saw the sixth day of the fast at Thoothukudi (also known as Tuticorin) in Tamil Nadu. A large number of fishermen and organisations who support them have been on fast. More than 400 men and women participated in the fasting. They have been fasting in protest against the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant.
During the fasting on 16th September, two fishermen died due to police assault. While Antony John a 50 year old fisherman died on the spot after the police fired at him, 40 year old Sahaya Francis was rushed to the Nagerkovil hospital where he soon died. The protestors requested judicial enquiry into the matter and prepared a Campaign Yatra from Thoothukudi to Idinthakarai. Even though the police did not allow the Yatra to move, the protestors continued with their Yatra and violated Police orders.
The police arrested and detained more than 200 protestors in a wedding hall up to 7.00 in the evening. Later the protestors were released by the police authority; however, the list of detained leaders is as follows:
1. Kulathur Mani (Periar Liberation Dravida Kalagam)
2. M.T.Pandian C.P.I. M.L (People’s Liberation)
3. Krishteeyana (Madam) Karur womens front
4. Aranga Gunasekaran, (Tamil National Movement)
5. Saravana Muthuvel ( Lok Raj Sangathan)
6. Nakkiran (MDMK) and some from other organisations
LRS correspondent, Tamil Nadu