Activists of LRS in Delhi met on September 25, 2016 to review the work carried out over the last month and plan for the work ahead.
Review of work in the past month:
- Activists of LRS in Sanjay Colony, Okhla Phase 2, organized under the Lok Raj Samiti, held a public meeting on September 11, on the outskirts of the colony, to mobilise residents in the struggle for piped water supply to each household. This follows the militant dharna at Jantar Mantar by Lok Raj Sangathan on this issue, on July 27, supported by several other organisations on Delhi. More than hundred residents took part in the program.
- Youth activists of LRS in Sanjay Colony are continuing, through facebook and whatsapp posts, as well as through door-to-door campaigns and street corner meetings, the agitation on the above issue as well as on maintenance of the public toilets (built there at the initiative and due to persistent struggle by activists of the Lok Raj Samiti), replacement of broken doors, taps and fixtures, cleanliness drive, dispensary and health services, bus service, bus stand, etc. As a result of these efforts, the toilets have been repaired, bus service no. 493 (DTC) is functional and bus stand construction has been assured. Activists have filed an RTI enquiry on the details of the government announced proposed scheme to supply piped water to households in slum clusters.
- Youth activists of Sheheed Bhagat Singh Association and Lok Raj Sangathan jointly organized a day long political-cultural event in Rohini, on September 18, to mark the martyrdom of Shaheed Bhagat Singh. Photo displays depicting the history and struggle of Hindustan Ghadar Party and Shaheed Bhagat Singh were a huge source of attraction. Various talents of the local youth were displayed such as songs, music and dance, martial arts, etc. The event was blessed by an MLA of AAP, veteran members of the local Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee and other senior members of the community. Members of Lok Raj Sangathan and Communist Ghadar Party of India also addressed the people on the occasion. Nearly 500 people attended the event.
- On September 23, activists of LRS participated in a dharna at Jantar Mantar, organized by Jamaat Islami e Hind, on atrocities against dalits and Muslims. LRS speaker also addressed the participants.
- LRS student and youth activists actively engaged in political discussions with students of JNU during the JNUSU elections held earlier this month.
- Activists of LRS participated along with workers of central trade unions and other workers’ organisations in the all India strike on September 2, in the Okhla area and in other parts of Delhi.
Plan of work in the coming period:
- On October 2, a power point presentation followed by discussion will be organized by local youth activists of LRS in Shashi Garden, East Delhi, explaining the political system and process in India.
- On October 16, a political-cultural program will be held in Shashi Garden, East Delhi. Youth activists of LRS from the local community will organise quiz, essay and painting competitions for children and youth of different age groups. The formation of the Lok Raj Samiti in the area is also expected to be formally announced.
- On September 26 a demonstration is being organized at the LG,s office, to protest against the increasing incidence of chikunguniya, dengue etc. in Delhi and the lack of hospital services.
- On September 26, a public meeting will be held in Sirsa, Haryana to commemorate the martyrdom of Shaheed Bhagat Singh.
- On September 28, a public meeting will be held in Jakhal, Haryana to commemorate the martyrdom of Shaheed Bhagat Singh.
- On November 1, Sikh Forum will hold a meeting at 5 p.m. at India International Centre, on the occasion of the 32nd anniversary of the massacre of Sikhs in 1984.
- A demonstration and rally will be organized by Lok Raj Sangathan and other organisations on the occasion of the 32nd anniversary of the massacre of Sikhs in 1984.
- On November 5 a candle light march will be held at India Gate lawns on the occasion of the 32nd anniversary of the massacre of Sikhs in 1984.
- On October 3, a meeting will be organized at Talkatora Stadium on the issue of communal harmony. LRS will be participating in the event.
- Lok Raj Samitis in different areas will be carrying on the work to organise people for piped water supply and other civic amenities, as their right.
This was followed by a discussion on the current situation of Indian-Pakistan relations and the massive propaganda being carried out in the media accusing Pakistan of being a “terrorist” state and threatening war against Pakistan. The discussion concluded on the following points:
- US imperialism is the biggest source of terrorism. US imperialism would like India and Pakistan to be constantly fighting one another, as this gives it a suitable climate to carry out its interference in the subcontinent.
- The Indian state is as much a sponsor of all kinds of terrorist outfits as the Pakistani state and many other capitalist and imperialist states in the world.
- The media starts blaming Pakistan for all problems in our country, even before any investigation can be carried out. Pakistan-bashing is a convenient way by which our rulers cover up their failure to address the actual concerns of the people and line up everyone behind their anti-people agenda.
- War is not in the interests of the people of India or Pakistan. We strive for unity of our peoples against imperialism and for peaceful and good neighbourly relations between our two peoples.
- The next meeting of activists of LRS in Delhi was scheduled for October 23, 10 a.m.